Disclaimer: I'm super nervous to share this with you for fear you'll all think I'm crazy. I'm not. I'm also not a weird parent..... ok not usually anyways. I'll just carry on now.
I love having kids. I love it for countless reasons. Yesterday June Bug was in one or her dark moods. I walked through something with her, trying to make her feel better. Explaining things to a child, teaching them things is such a privilege. Isn't it often the adult who learns more in the process? Well here is what I walked through with her:
"June Bug lets imagine a beautiful place together. Let's imagine a waterfall, with a forest and lots of green around it. There is a large rock we can sit on to watch the waterfall. Close your eyes, what do you think the waterfall would sound like? Ok, now lets imagine that the waterfall is big enough that it's spraying water and if we stand on the grassy bank we can feel the spray on our faces. You know what else happens because of the spray? A rainbow! There is a rainbow coming from the waterfall and going into the sky, it's so bright! Ok, now look by the waterfall in the water, do you see Jesus standing there?
(This is where the Monkey piped up, "Yes, and he's standing on the water!") Well June Bug, you can go to Jesus. Just let him give you a hug. He wants you to go out there with him. You can talk to him. Tell him what's on your mind and what is making you so upset.
(She was quiet for a long time, eyes closed).
"June Bug did Jesus say anything to you? (No, I just talked to him) Did you know that Jesus gives gifts? He gives gifts like comfort, love, light, truth. You can ask him for a gift. You can always go to Jesus and talk to him, he loves you SOOOOoooo much!"
That was pretty much the extent of our conversation. It was so convicting for me! Why don't I go to him with the things that are making me sad, angry, confused? The worst part for me is that I know better! I'm not a child! I've experienced God, I've gotten the goosebumpy, so excited I can't sleep feeling of knowing Him. And yet I still find myself slumping around trying to do things on my own. Pretending that I'm doing just fine.
How much sweeter it is to meet with Him, our Saviour! He wants us to give him all that crap. It's why he died! And how sweet it is to be able to worship the Father because we are clean and purified!
This picture was actually taken from my first "real" Bible. I was probably 9 when I got it, and not much older when this verse hit me square in the face. I don't remember what my burdens were way back then, but the meaning has only become more clear.

No comments:
Post a Comment