We used to do halloween. The first couple years of Katelyn's life we dressed her up and went to a few houses for candy. Things have changed and we no longer "do" halloween. Here's why:
We are Christians.
All the candy is bad for our health.
All the candy has wasteful wrappers on it, remember one of my favorite blogs? Zero Waste Home
I don't like the scary costumes and my kids get scared when they answer the door to hand out candy.
Ok, so now I'm going to expand on the first one because in my mind it's the one that matters the most. Please realize that this is my conviction and I'm not judging other people, nor am I saying you should all change because of what I say here! As a Christian my family and I are are set apart, different from the world (1 Pete 2:11&12). Our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against evil spiritual forces (Eph 6:12). Do you know where Halloween comes from?
It's interesting to look into, and a few different things come up. It's origins are pagan, and yes so are the origins of Christmas. But Christmas celebrates Christs birth, and Halloween celebrates death and evil. Yes originally it had a lot to do with the harvest, but it was also believed that the souls of the dead would visit on this night. It falls right before All Saints Day which is no coincidence. Catholics believed that when people died they basically waited around and got a chance to go to heaven on All Saints Day. So the night before was their last chance to get revenge, and haunt. I've also heard that since Reformation the persecuted Christians dressed up and bribed their attackers.
Satan takes what God has created and twists it, he makes counterfeits. He's a fake and a lie. I'll use the example of lust. Satan took sex, a beautiful gift from God, and he perverted it, turned it into all kinds of pitfalls for man. I believe that as Christians we need to be extra vigilant so we don't fall into his schemes. Pretending we can just take the "innocent" parts of Halloween and leaving the rest is a cop out.
I choose not to compromise and just take the fun bits of Halloween. My kids dress up all year, and we get treats often enough. I do struggle because we are called to love our neighbours, and handing out candy is very loving. To that I say that we must be loving all year round. Look out for our neighbours, know them, know their needs. Pray for them! Get involved with them, get to know them.
I also don't want to be holed away in a dark basement watching T.V. feeling the need to hide. My dream would be to have a powerful worship service on that night. Again, our battle is not between flesh and blood. Can you picture the spiritual battle on Halloween night around a place of worship? I would much prefer to kill demons and ruin satans plans than just be complacent and eat candy with a couple cute kids. The world lies to us, Satan lies to us. (1 Jn 5:19) He wants us to not care, or to not think about it too much. I'm getting worked up, YES!
1 Peter 2:11 (in case you didn't look it up when I put it up there at the top)
"Beloved, I urge you as aliens and stranger to abstain from fleshly lusts, which wage war against the soul."
And in the Message translation 11&12: Friends, this world is not your home, so don’t make yourselves cozy in it. Don’t indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they’ll be won over to God’s side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives.
No comments:
Post a Comment