Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Using Time for What Really Matters

I'm the kind of person who, when making a to do list, feels the need to fill the entire page. At the end of a day, no matter how productive, I feel like I didn't get enough done. I feel like there is always stuff to do and I could never accomplish everything I want to do. This has been a major learning curve in the last few years. Learning to let go of expectations and be realistic in my goals. The other day I stumbled upon this blog post "Learning to Enjoy Your Children" that really made me tear up, but not for the reason you may think. It was not with regret that I read it, but with joy. If you don't follow the link I'll sum it up here. She challenges parents to be intentional with our children and spend quality time with them everyday. She lists some examples, many of which we do with our kids often. I read it with thankfulness that Matthew and I do take the time to really enjoy our kids. It is because I play pirates with them, bake with them, read to them, listen to their jokes and many other fun things that my "to do" list is usually a "should have done" list by the end of the day. It's also why I can go to bed at night with a huge smile and warmth in my heart and just throw that list out of my mind because it really doesn't matter. Cheering for my kids as they learn and grow, praying for them and with them, that is what matters. So even if I fail in cleaning, baking, laundry, or sewing, I will strive to love on my kids in whichever way they need that day. Even as I write this post I've been interrupted countless times to kiss an owie, read a book, cuddle a baby, and sit a stubborn kid on the potty. It's all worth it. Oh my word, is it ever!




This picture was taken months ago, but sums up the silliness and sweetness of our little squirts.
So lately I've really been trying to just be more proactive in my tasks around the house instead of adding too many things to my list. I've been reading the Fly Lady's blog again for inspiration. Her stuff is mostly just common sense, like clean as you go, which my mom drilled into me while growing up (thanks mom:-) I really like her ideas for de-cluttering. Its very simple, fast, and doable. Yes, that's a word. Doable. You just start with one room, 15 min a day is all your allowed. First you bring a garbage bag into the room and throw 28 things into it, then you take it out to the garbage and forget about it. Then you bring a box and put 28 giveaway things into it, bring it out to your car to drop off at a thrift store, and forget about it. Once it's in the bag or box, just let it go, don't you dare take it out again! And then you're done de-cluttering for the day. So easy! The other thing I've been doing from her site is setting the timer for an hour and working, then setting the timer for 15 minutes and sitting down for a break. My break time is spent drinking water, and playing with the kids, in a chill relaxing sort of way. This way I'm connecting with them and they will play together really nicely for the next hour again. It's been working really well today, we'll see if I actually keep up with it or not. It's noon and I've made bread, and granola (with the kids help of course;-), vacuumed downstairs, majorly tidied the kitchen, read a couple stories, played Petshop, and nursed Micah twice. So I think I'll take the rest of the day off and plant some seeds in the garden with the kids and play. Yipee!

No comments: