Ok so I realized that most of the reason I never update my poor blog is because my photos are never put onto the computer. So my new plan is to.... well.... uhhh.... I guess I'll start by putting my pictures onto the computer so I can then post some here for your viewing pleasure. But I haven't done that yet. So I guess this post is kinda pointless. But I have every intention of making this blog a little less lonely in the next few weeks, so stay posted! Coming up I'll tell you about Owen's pirate adventures, and my sewing adventures. And can I just mention that Micah is seriously adorable and I could just nibble him up? There. I did it. But now he's trying to rip apart a pretty basket, apparently planning to eat it piece by piece. I guess he's hungry??? Ok, see you later, with photos, promise!
Updated to make this post less pointless:
Ok, I have a recipe that I've been meaning to post for a reader for awhile now, so I'll do that now and this post will now have a purpose, weeehoo! This is soup I make in the fall, I usually double or even quadruple the recipe so we have a years worth of yummy tomato soup for lunches or fast suppers. Oh, and last time I made it I misread the "cloves" part and added four cloves of garlic instead. Usually mistakes don't work out so well, but this time I think it may have even improved the recipe:-)
Condensed Tomato Soup:
7.5 lbs tomatoes
3 medium onions
6 ribs celery
4 cloves
2 bay leaves
handful of parsley
1/2 c. butter
6 Tbsp flour
1/8 tsp cayenne
2 Tbsp salt
-Simmer the tomatoes, onions, celery, cloves, bay leaves, and parsley for about two hours in a heavy bottomed stock pot, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
-remove the bay leaves and cloves and then blend with either an immersible blender, or in batches in a blender (once it's cooled a bit, to prevent burns from inevitable splashing), if using the blender method, return to pot once done blending
- in a small pot melt butter then whisk in the flour, cayenne, and salt
-add some of the pureed tomato mixture (about 1 or 2 cups) into your small butter pot, whisking to mix well
- now pour all of this back into your big tomato pot. Stir to combine well and let this come to a boil until it has thickened.
- pour into sterilized jars and process in a water bath canner for 20 min, following general canning guide lines for lids and all that.
To serve heat condensed tomato soup in a pot. In a separate pot heat milk (the same volume as the condensed tomato soup). Add a pinch of baking soda to the heated soup and whisk in the milk. This method prevents the milk from curdling.
2 comments:
Thanks SOOO much!! I can't wait til tomato season so I can try this. I love tomato soup.
I will attest to how wonderful this soup is!!!
Post a Comment