Friday, February 06, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

1. I love singing at the top of my lungs while driving alone on country roads. I used to take voice lessons and I even do those old voice exercises in the car. I had one very humiliating experience singing in front of an audience and ever since I don't sing in front of people. I don't see this as a big deal, it didn't take away from my enjoyment. I just love singing out to Jesus, this is my favorite way to worship and connect to Him. Oh, and I sing for my kids
2. I would love to live on a farm and be fully self-sufficent. Have a wind mill, well, wood stove thing-a-ma-jig to heat the house and cook on, the works. Obviously I have a lot to learn about all this, but I'm excited
3. I like to eat brown pasta and brown rice. One of them I like almost mushy, the other I like tender. You can probably figure out which is which.
4. I love old furniture and dishes, especially if they have personal sentimental value to me. Things from my, and Matthew's grandparents are really special. When I buy new things I feel like I'm cheating. I just figure, why are we all buying new stuff that's made in China when there is probably the same thing already kicking around somewhere, it has much higher value in so many ways. Not to mention burning all these fossil fuels making and transporting our new flimsy things.
5. I had a C-Section with Katelyn, which was very last minute and heart breaking at the time. It turned out that she was footling breech. I was glad I didn't know because I'm thankful I got to labour with her.... which sounds a bit crazy now. Anyways, because of that I did a lot of research to prevent another C-Section, and in doing so decided to have a home birth with Owen. It was amazing and perfect and I'll do it again someday, which also sounds crazy when I think about it.
6. When I was in grade 4 I watched Freddie Kruger, it terrified me. I never watch even remotely scary things and I don't see the point of it at all. Why put that in my mind or even in my house?
7. I force myself to be organized because otherwise my life would be a mess. I really love lists, budgets, schedules etc. I just have a really hard time implementing them.
8. In the winter I get psoriasis on my elbows, I know it seems kinda yeecky. Basically it's just really itchy and dry. Since Christmas I've been eating really healthy and it's cleared up.
9. I use cloth diapers for Owen, I recycle, I reuse Ziplocs (and get made fun of for it), I limit my driving, I use cloth shopping bags. Despite these things my husband accuses me of washing dishes by the principal of erosion, just letting the water run and run until the food comes off. I also take extremely long showers. I feel very guilty about these things and I'm trying to stop.
10. I lived in Switzerland for a year as an au pair. Best experience ever, it was just incredible. There is so much value in something like this. I love the family I lived with and still miss them almost 5 years later. I traveled a lot of Europe while I was there and want to go back when my kids are teenagers.
11. I'm a night owl, I don't even really get going in my day until 10:00am or so.
12. I like stand up comedy, live theater, live music (most kinds)but I don't like going to the movie theater. I'm never comfortable enough, don't like the food there, and wish I could pause it so I could pee.
13. I hate leaving my kids with babysitters, it just seems like more trouble than it's worth. Once we're out I enjoy our time, I don't fret. I envy my friends that have parents living close, I would totally over use that privilege.
14. I was head over heels for Matthew and had no idea he felt the same. When he told me he loved me he totally took me off guard. It was wonderful. I loved dating him and I love being married to him.
15. We watch T.V. in the evening and I always knit or embroider, other wise I feel like I'm wasting time.
16. It takes me about 2 years of living in a house before I put pictures on the walls. We've been married almost 5 years, lived in 3 places, I don't often have art up. It's usually because I'm intimidated and can't really decide exactly what I want.
17. I have plans drawn up for our future dream house and I regularly revise them as life goes on. It's not huge, but very practical for our family. The rooms I'm most excited about are the kitchen, the laundry room, and the piano parlor, oh and the school/craft room.
18. I'm pretty good at cooking about 10 different things. Everything else is just trial and error, unfortunately it's usually error. But I'm getting better and I learned how to make really good 100% whole wheat bread last week. I used to enjoy cooking a lot and would pride myself on mastering certain things like pie. Now I would rather be sewing.
19. I thought I would naturally be a great mom and not have to try very hard. I enjoy being a mom but it's hard and doesn't come naturally to me. I feel like I have to call someone or read up on things everyday for different reasons.
20. I like riding my bike and miss doing it. I've had the same road bike for 15 years, it's still great. Where I grew up there was perfect bike routes with amazing views. Where I live now is too dangerous to road bike, I miss it.
21. My favorite colours are green, then red. These are very unfortunate favorite colours when it comes to home decorating...... although I do love Christmas, I don't want my house to look so festive all year round.
22. I'm about half way through 7 sewing projects right now. I have 13 more projects on my list to be done before spring. I have an old Kenmore that was left in a house our friends were renting out, it's great. I love free things, although I'll probably buy a new sewing machine someday since I use it so much, I don't know how long this one will last me.
23. I regularly purge my wardrobe (about every 3 months). I hate having things hanging around that I never wear. I don't know how I still have clothes 'cause I don't go shopping very often. Oh, I'm sneaking another one in here 'cause it's related. I hated shopping before I had kids, and now it's something I really miss. I wish I could spend as long as I want, by myself, at a really nice mall. I like Market Mall (Calgary).
24. I try to eat seasonally, locally, and responsibly. Soup in winter, salad in summer etc. We grow or buy the majority of our food locally. My favorite thing to not buy is dairy products. I make yogurt, kefir, butter, all that. I started this when Katelyn started eating solid food. Some things are really hard to stop buying, spices, chocolate, coffee, salt. Everything else really can be made. I don't make everything, and I still have a house full of boxes, bottles, and bags, but I'm trying...
25. I always think I have a favorite kid but then while I'm thinking that I realize the other one is my favorite. Hopefully this makes sense in other peoples minds. I just love both of my kids so much. They make me laugh so much and sometimes make me cry (in a good way).

3 comments:

Felicia Cloete said...

You are amazing, this made me cry. I wish this was faccebook so that I could look at what you wrote while I am commenting because there were a bunch that I specifically wanted to comment on. But now I see you are talking to me on facebook, so I will go back over there and talk to you. Toodle pip!

Monson said...

Go recycle something, ya hippie!

Lynnie girl said...

Your brother loves you so very much!!
So do I by the way :o)
I like to think that a very small part of all your honorable components
come from me. That may be a big stretch though...I'm so very proud of the mother/wife/daughter that you are each and every day!! Bless you!