Saturday, October 18, 2008

Grandpa's Plaids and other things

This post is a tribute to finished projects. Finishing things is a very big deal for me and must be celebrated. I never finish things. I haven't celebrated the finished bassinet here yet (I have on facebook in Owens baby album). So here's my little cuties with the finished product. The condensed story of this bed is this: While pregnant with Katelyn 3 or so years ago I saw this picture of this 400$ bed. Naturally I really wanted it, and naturally I wanted to make it instead of fork over the money. My wonderful husband did his part right away, cut out the wood and had it all ready. I bought the fabric and got together with my wonderful sewing friend Marilyn, but got stuck so I didn't finish it. Then when I was pregnant with Owen the plan was revived. It wasn't actually completely finished until after he was born. But now here it is and I'm hoping he can use it for as long as possible.

Ok, another finished project: Corryn's quilt. I think I told you about this a couple posts ago. So here it is all finished, I gave it to her last weekend. Considering I'm not a huge fan of different plaids this turned out pretty good. I like the pattern, it's an Amy Butler one. I saw the picture of this quilt but again, didn't want to actually buy the book with the pattern in it, so I just drew it up on graph paper. I think I'm always going to do that, it works well. Is that breaching any copy right laws? I hope not.


So now I'm starting new stuff:-) Sydney and Katelyn get to be flower girls next month and Shari and I are making the dresses. So that's one project. It's a simple pattern but apparently I'm a sewing reject and totally can't figure it out. I'm learning a lot, mostly patience. Don't want to give anything away on that though, so I'll post pictures after the wedding.
The other project is Owens quilt. I feel like I'm really doing stuff I like now. I got all this fabric on Etsy. I'm waiting for this fabric to fill in these blank spots in the picture. Hopefully that link up there worked so you can look at the picture if you so care to. Here's his quilt so far, can't wait to start sewing it together!! This poor boy plays on my childhood strawberry shortcake quilt, he needs something a little more boyish.


So with that, I'm outta here, I have some sewing to do. Needless to say my house is feeling very neglected lately. In fact the laundry got so bad Matthew was driven to do a few loads last night. Good method for getting out of laundry eh? But of course I have time to spruce up our fake fire place:-) It's not actually a fake fireplace. It's gas with fake logs. It's pretty cheesy to me, but still nice to have. I just like real logs that actually burn. Someday, someday.....
In other news I've had a headache for three days, I think it's a pinched nerve or something. That and the fact that there was only half a cup of coffee left by the time I got to it today, and it was cold. Boo. It's a good thing I have a sweet cuddly girl on my lap right now, otherwise I might be grumpy or something.

3 comments:

Lynnie girl said...

Oh Holly, I'm so very proud of you for becoming a finisher, something our family is lacking in;) Everything looks so good, love your festive living room! Can't wait to see y'all...Mama

Felicia Cloete said...

So did Corinne like her quilt? It looks great by the way

Anonymous said...

Corrinne????? how 'bout Corryn? Yeesh.