I love autumn, but why does it have to be so busy!?! I always say how much I want to be a farmer, and I do, but I can't imagine all the work that would come with it. I already feel so busy. This morning I slipped my bare feet into my rubber boots and stepped into the deliciously crisp fall air. Mmm, I'm not ready for summer to be over, but nothing compares to that wonderful feeling of cool air. It's been so cold here already I've been covering my garden for weeks now! As soon as I get the chance I plan to just bring everything in and call it quits. I'm hoping my tomatoes will still have the chance to ripen a bit though. We were in the Okanagan last week for holidays. We love love love going and hope to go every year. In saying that though we really need to enjoy summer here more, it goes by so fast. I was away a lot this summer. I spent a week in Calgary with the girl friends. Then I flew down to San Diego for a super long weekend to visit my sister. Then Okanagan for a week with the fam. So I really felt the summer go by fast. Next summer I'm sticking close to home, my garden, and some good camping spots. Anyways, we brought back tons of fruits and veggies and I'm still dealing with them!

I've been canning every day for a week now. I only have a bit more salsa and some jam left, then I'm done yay! It's been fun though, and so satisfying filling our shelves for the winter. To me there's nothing quite like it. Having a meal on the table and knowing that I ordered the seeds, planted them, nurtured them, harvested, and then prepared the meal. I just can't wait until I can grow everything instead of depending on the farmers markets etc.
Other things that have been occupying my mind? Fabrics. Glorious, beautiful, and oh so addictive! I've been dreaming up so many projects. I'm going to take a quilting class, and from there the possibilities are endless! Last year it was knitting, now it's quilting. I'll definitely be posting pictures as I go along.
I haven't been getting enough sleep lately, I really need to get to bed. Owen has been waking up early. He's showing signs of being ready for solids. I wanted to hold off as long as possible. I HATE this stage of mashed food. I do big batches and freeze it in ice cube trays. I hate thawing it, does anyone have suggestions? It takes forever. (p.s. I don't use microwaves, it's a long story) Anyways, I'm not looking forward to this stage. Maybe I can teach Katelyn how to feed him, ha ha that'd be even messier than it already is. I gave him banana mash today and he loved it. I'll probably make rice mash for him this week. When Katelyn started solids I ground brown rice in my coffee grinder and then cooked that for about 15 minutes. Mix it with some mommy milk, and the consistency and taste were pretty ok, I mean for a baby. Ok, you can tell I'm getting tired, sorry for the rambling. Goodnight.
P.S. Could I just complain about blogger for a sec? Why do they make it so hard to arrange your photos within your text? I wanted three pictures lined up side by side. Tomatoes in the field, tomatoes in a box in my sunny kitchen, and the canned tomatoes. I added them and then they end up all over the place and look retarded. Wouldn't it be easier if you could just click and drag them wherever you want? Argg


2 comments:
ha i know i always fight with my pictures too.... too bad we missed you guys this year... such a crazy summer... i'm always impressed with your canning... i was actually going to call you while you were here and offer my kitchen to your canning if in exchange you would teach me how! i don't know how to can so i freeze everything... and i mean everything... oh... and i also freeze my baby food in icecube trays, then transfer them to ziplock bags... if you're anti-microwave though... there are some babyfood icecube trays you can get, and the actual individual cube pops out(with lid)you might be able to throw a few into a bot with warm water and let it heat up that way? i'm about to pick some up this week... i'll try it out for you!
Love the blog update! I forgot to get pics off of your camera/laptop last weekend :{ Love the ones of Katelyn with the dog. Must go take yours for a walk now. Love y'all heaps!
Post a Comment