We're on holidays visiting Matthews family, so no pictures today. But here's a soup recipe because it's cold and rainy down here. Matthews mom always makes this soup, it's so homey and yummy, and healthy to boot. Hee he, to boot, I'm such a geek. Over my long 4 years of marriage and cooking I've changed the recipe a bit, and I've never written it down, which means it's never been the same twice. Here's my first attempt at preserving it.
Lentil Soup
2 cups of beef broth (or vegetable if you're doing vegan)
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 c lentils (doesn't matter what kind, I use a mix of two different kinds)
1/2 an onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 stalk of celery, chopped
Put the above ingredients in a frying pan with some salt, pepper, and thyme. Let these sweat until the lentils and veggies are cooked. This is just to get some flavor and thickness to the finished soup. Once this is cooked blend it up either in the blender or with an immersible blender (which I love and use all the time)
8 cups of the broth of your choice
chopped veggies: cabbage, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and whatever else you have on hand that you think would work
fryed ground beef with seasoning (omit if you're doing vegan)
your choice of herbs and spices. I use thyme, basil, oregano, a titch of red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
1 cup or so of lentils
a splash of balsamic vinegar
throw this last part in a pot, add the pureed mix from your frying pan. This thickens up the broth and adds flavor to the lentils. Simmer until everything is tender. Enjoy!
I didn't make this as I was writing it so the amounts might be way off. I eyeball things a lot and never use recipes. Even if I have a recipe I never follow the directions precisely. Where's the fun in that?
Anyways, we're doing a lot of driving the next week. I love road trips. I got Owens quilt done so I'm just doing the hand sewing on the binding in the car. My machine is horrible and the quilting is the worst. But it'll do I guess. Pictures to come! I also started reading a book, it's called "The Condition" it's good so far. An easy read, and perfect for a road trip.
The kiddies are doing great and loving hanging out with the cousins. Oh and remember the flower girl dress I was talking about? Yup, she did it, she walked down the aisle all dolled up. I can't wait to get home and put pictures up. My little sweetie boy is on my lap wanting some food. He's precious. Even when he's screaming until 11 at night. I don't know if it's teeth or tummy, but he's one mad little man the last few nights. Talk to you later. Make some soup!
2 comments:
Wow, thanks for recipe and update I can't wait to try it! As you know I love making soups all winter long. I can't wait to see y'all next weekend, sure hope Owen isn't unhappy while I'm there to play with him and Katelyn. Y'all are in my prayers daily as you travel. Pray for good weather next weekend for me!
Love you heaps...Mama
Post a Comment